21st Century Sex Slaves
Sexual slavery is the slavery of unwilling people who are coerced into that condition for sexual exploitation. The incidence of sexual slavery by country has been studied and tabulated by UNESCO, with the cooperation of various international agencies.Sexual slavery may include single-owner sexual slavery, ritual slavery sometimes associated with certain religious practices, slavery for primarily non-sexual purposes but where non-consensual sex is common, or forced prostitution. The Vienna Declaration and Programme of Action calls for an international response in order to attempt to eradicate sexual slavery on the basis that it is a human rights issue.
According to the Rome Statute, sexual enslavement is the exercise of any or all of the powers attached to the “right of ownership” over a person. It may comprise repeated sexual abuse or rape by the captor or forcing the victim to provide sexual services to others, or both. The crime is a continuing offence. The Rome Statute’s definition of sexual slavery includes situations where persons are forced into domestic servitude, marriage or any other forced labour that involves sexual activity, as well as the trafficking of persons for sexual purposes, frequently women and children.
- The Lipstick Portraits Combine Beauty and Activism (bellasugar.com)
- S. Korea raises issue of wartime sexual slavery of women in U.N. address (english.kyodonews.jp)
- Husson event draws attention to horrors of human trafficking, sex slavery (bangordailynews.com)
- Gendercide — 200 Million Missing Females (russellboard.typepad.com)
- Sexual Slavery Victim Facing Deportation in Spain (lawprofessors.typepad.com)
- Observing Anti-Slavery Day (zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com)
- Mount Isa helps slavery overseas (blogs.abc.net.au)
- child sex trafficking research (bebopper76.wordpress.com)
- Partner with Will of Hope against trafficking (observer.org.sz)
- Meaningful Gifts Series: International Justice Mission (business-theology.com)